Internet radio
Dominique Cimafranca
2005-12-02 00:05:40 UTC
Hi, all,

I've been listening to a lot of Internet radio recently. One problem,
though, is that the default Rhythmbox that comes with Ubuntu 5.10 doesn't
seem to work properly with streams (I listen to www.sky.fm). For that
matter, neither does XMMS. I wonder if other folks have encountered this
problem, and if so, I would like to know how they fixed it.

What does work for me is mplayer. But I guess I'm just a-r in the sense
that I want Rhythmbox and XMMS to work also.

--
Dominique Gerald M. Cimafranca
villageidiotsavant.blogspot.com
Dumaguete City
Anuerin Diaz
2005-12-02 06:36:51 UTC
Post by Dominique Cimafranca
Hi, all,
I've been listening to a lot of Internet radio recently. One problem,
though, is that the default Rhythmbox that comes with Ubuntu 5.10 doesn't
seem to work properly with streams (I listen to www.sky.fm). For that
matter, neither does XMMS. I wonder if other folks have encountered this
problem, and if so, I would like to know how they fixed it.
What does work for me is mplayer. But I guess I'm just a-r in the sense
that I want Rhythmbox and XMMS to work also.
i use xmms/winamp to listen to internet radio and here are the only
stations on my list:

http://24.86.120.206:8000 (xpidernet)
http://66.54.67.132:8452 (pinoy radio)
http://64.236.34.4:80/stream/1074 (club 997)

the first two play opm music.xpidernet sometimes experience bandwidth
troubles but i like 'old school' pinoy alternative. and both helps in
keeping home sickness at bay. :)

the third one plays fairly new singles, like the stuff they are
currently playing on mtv. i have never used rhythmbox. xmms has always
been my music player in linux.

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back"

Anuerin G. Diaz
Registered Linux User #246176
Friendly Linux Board @ http://mandrivausers.org/index.php
http://capsule.ramfree17.org , when you absolutely have nothing else
better to do
Dominique Cimafranca
2005-12-05 01:43:38 UTC
Post by Dominique Cimafranca
Hi, all,
I've been listening to a lot of Internet radio recently. One problem,
though, is that the default Rhythmbox that comes with Ubuntu 5.10 doesn't
seem to work properly with streams (I listen to www.sky.fm). For that
matter, neither does XMMS. I wonder if other folks have encountered this
problem, and if so, I would like to know how they fixed it.
Awright, I finally found the fix to my MP3-Rhythmbox problem. It was
documented at
http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2005/08/05/mp3-support-with-rhythmbox/

In one command,

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-plugins

I guess the reason I really wanted Rhythmbox to work with my Internet radio
was because I liked the way it looked. It was the closest I could get to
the iTunes interface. Mplayer was fine but the channel selection left much
to be desired.